In February 1959 the Papakura Bridge Club was formed.
At the time Papakura was a bustling business centre surrounded by a large farming community, the Papakura Army Camp, and the Teachers Training College and Engineering Campus for the University of Auckland at Ardmore. Players also came from Clevedon, Pukekohe and Manurewa.
On 20 September 2009, a buffet lunch was held to mark the 50th Anniversary for the club. The occasion was attended by over 80 past and present club members with lots of opportunities to reminisce and catch up with old friends.
The luncheon included speeches from past and present club members and the cutting of an anniversary cake. The afternoon was rounded off by a session of social bridge with much laughter and happy memories shared along the way.
A booklet outlining the history of the club compiled by Bridget Bayly, was also presented to attendees as a memento of the occasion.